Wednesday, August 31, 2011

it was a tough one

This schedule for this past weekend had the longest run yet with a distance of 16km.  It was very windy out on Sunday, windy enough to keep DH off the water (there were people surfing in Lake Ontario).  I ate a late breakfast of what I realized after was too light on the carbs and watched a movie while I let my food settle. 

I was going back and forth on where I felt like running but just decided I would head to the beach path as the path is exactly 8km each way. It couldn't have been easier and I wouldn't have to think about the distance, I would just have to do the running.  I got down there around 3pm and got myself ready to go.  I started off between the 200 and 400 m markers.  I don't remember if I walked to start, I probably did for the first 200 m or so.

I was feeling ok, not as great as I had felt the week before and I think part of that was because I had run on Saturday this week.  Last week I didn't do a run the day before the LSD.  I made my way past the first rest stop passing the go-kart track and public pool continuing down the path past Hutches and then Barangas.  There were a few people out on the patios along the way enjoying the sun but I was enjoying running past them.

I kept going trying not to pay too much attention to the markers along the path, I just wanted to get to the turn around at 8km.  Once I got there I knew I just had to get back, I was half-way done then.  I was pretty happy running the loop in the path and don't know if it was in my mind or real that I had a huge smile on my face when I got there.

On the return I starting really feeling it in my legs, I was getting tired and sore.  I usually would stop and stretch a bit, usually when I have about 3km left to go but I didn't this time, I just wanted to be done.  I kept pushing trying to keep my heart rate at or above 160, it wasn't the entire time but I wasn't too worried about it. 

I had two G2 gatorades with me but I think I am going to have to find more energy supplements for these long runs.  I felt like I was going to sick within about an hour after I got home so now is the time during the training to see what else will work for me.

I also just signed up for the Run for Hope on Nov 5, I'm doing the 10km with my friend who is signing up for her first race ever too!  So proud of her for pushing beyond the comfort zone and doing this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment