Wednesday, November 16, 2011

getting back on the wagon

After I finished my race in October I was getting worried about falling off the wagon and losing everything built up for that run.  This past week I feel like I am getting back on the wagon. 

It was so nice out this past weekend I went for two runs outside, Saturday was a 7km run and it was brutal!  Now I really know why my massage therapist always told me not to workout after an appointment.  I was so surprised to see how slow I was running and how hard it felt.   Also got a bunch of housework out of the way and got our laundry/storage room better organized. 

Sunday I did bit more around the house and went and picked up a few things from the store.  I went for a quick 5km, there was no way I was going to let another gorgeous day go by and not run outside. It's going to be cold before we know it so I wanted to make the most of the +15 degrees!?!  My time was SO much better than the day before, my legs felt great and I felt so much faster. 

I was feeling a bit off Monday and Tuesday but I didn't want to miss my second spin class so I went on Tuesday.  It was totally different from the Thursday night but it was just as good.   We did more temp work cycling as fast as we could then climbed a huge hill then came down the other side.  It was great work out and I am starting to know how much I can push myself on the bike. 

Tonight I went to the runner/triathlete yoga.  It was really different from the moksha yoga I have done in the past but it good to stretch out my legs and hips.  I didn't realise how tight my muscles had been and the savasna was just what I needed.

My diet has improved this week as well.  On Sunday I dusted off my copy of The Zone and decided to get back to basics with my eating by balancing my carbs, protein and fat.  So far, so good.  Next up (starting tonight) no more late night snacking...this has been a major downfall for me in the past and when I keep my snacking and late night eating in line I am way more successful.  For a few reasons, I haven't hopped on the scale in a long time and don't plan on getting on any time soon.  I don't want or need to get wrapped up in the numbers, while I know I have gained back more than I would care to admit the numbers on the scale is not what I need to focus on right.  Right now, it's more important to get in at least five workouts during the week and just eat healthy...I know how to do all this, now it's just a matter of doing it!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was able to take advantage of the beautiful weekend weather. My achillies is tender so I am taking some time off from running. As a result I have been hitting the bike trainer pretty hard! :)
    The running group I am a part of will be starting the yoga for runners/triathletes. I have never been to a yoga class before. Do you find it helpful??
    Is 'The Zone' a cook book?
    Keep up the great work and stay on that wagon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw... I love your 2012 race schedule. How exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are feeling better soon and get back out running Fran. I have been going to yoga on and off for a couple years now and this was different but good, I didn't realize how tight some of my muscles were until that class.

    Here is a link to the zone http://www.zonediet.com/ I don't use any of the products other than the book, I just like the concept and knowing what to avoid etc, it actually seems to be a lot like a diabetic diet.

    2012 is going to be amazing but I'm terrified and excited at the same time lol.

    ReplyDelete