Saturday, January 28, 2012

healthy anniversary!

 

Today is a big day! Five years ago today I changed my life forever by taking control and deciding enough was enough.  Five years ago today, I quit smoking.

It wasn't the first time I had "tried"to quit and it wasn't the easiest time either. I had learned a few lessons though from previous attempts so I knew what it was going to take and I knew what I needed to have in my arsenal to keep me from breaking down and giving up.  In past attempts I was like that flight attendant on the commercial, you know the lady who was screaming at passengers and crying on the plane intercom.  This time I was ready, I stalked up at the bulk barn on dried fruit and other snacks as well as flavoured bottle water and of course "the patch". There was NO WAY I was going to do this without the patch.

I struggled at times and it was probably the toughest for the first month or so but in general it was the easiest time I had quit smoking because I had finally made the decision that I just wasn't not going to smoke any more. 

 I went to the track for my running workout this morning then headed back to Burlington for my 600m swim.  When my friend told me she wasn't able to join me today I almost thought about not going but I didn't give my self the option.  I finished up my swim then headed over and grabbed a couple pool tools for my swimming workouts then decided to take advantage of a sale on running gear. I figured it was a good way to treat myself to such a significant anniversary.  I picked up a new pair of runners and a new short sleeve and a long sleeve shirt. 

 In prep for next week I decided to make another new looney spoon recipe by "thaiing one on".  The soup has sweet potatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, shrimp, lite coconut milk, chicken stock cilantro, basil and peanut butter.  There is also some cumin, ground coriander and a couple other spices and I threw in some shrimp, you can't go wrong with shrimp.  Half the soup also gets blended to thicken it up a bit.  It's similar to the soup I made last week but anything with coconut is good with me! 

mmmmmm thai soup!
While I was cooking I was thinking about the milestone that today is and felt pretty proud of myself because when I was a smoker I never thought I would successfully quit smoking and stay smoke-free.  I also never ever considered that I would ever be training for a half-ironman!    I still laugh a little and have to shake my head a little when I think about the direction my life is going in now but I love it!  

All in all a great day and a great smoke-free 5th anniversary!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 5 years no smoking!! That is fantastic.
    That soup looks so good and I bet it tasted even better. I love thai food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fran! :)

    It was super yummy I will send you the recipe and you can try it out.

    ReplyDelete