Monday, November 18, 2013

What are you running for?

I was talking to one of the Chiro's this weekend about running, we were discussing the mental aspect and what some people get out of running.  He had made a comment that for some people, they are running away from something and that got me thinking about why people run or what it does for them.  

I know for myself, running is therapy.  I'm not sure if it's cheaper at the rate I like to expand my training wardrobe.  I have worked out so many things that use to drag me down while out on a run and  I have had some great realizations while my feet were pounding the pavement (now the swipe across the ground).  When I head out there, I feel as if I am running towards something, towards my next race start line and towards to ever evolving version of me.

Over the past couple of months while running was not on the plan (I know you know this already as I whined about it the whole time) I really began to feel it. Even though I have been able to swim, strength train and recently get back into spin class my mind has felt weighed down.  I was thinking too much, thinking about everything and letting my thoughts spiral downwards.   

Yesterday I was reading some articles and blogs about running and something I read really resonated with me and gave me a whole new perspective that coupled with a fantastic treadmill run was just what "the doctor" ordered.   I felt amazing after I wrapped up my 5 k, I don't remember the last time I felt so good during or after a run.

So for yourself when you lace up and head out the door, is there something you are running from or running towards?  Either way I hope you have a great one out there and enjoy every step of the way.  



No comments:

Post a Comment